Any furnace and heating system manufacturer will recommend getting an annual inspection and maintenance by qualified technicians. Just like a car or truck, all complex mechanical equipment that engages in regular use will require regular maintenance to make sure no problems arise. For furnances and heating systems in particular, this is especially significant because of potentially hazardous issues like carbon monoxide leaks that could result if no inspections are performed during the lifetime of the unit. Additionally, furnace manufacturers make it clear that any damage to units caused by improper maintenance will not be covered under warranty. This means that getting annual tune ups for your heating system will not only help prevent potential issues, in the small off-chance of some kind of catastrophic failure due to a defective system, you will have documentation and records proving that you have done your due diligence in maintaining your heating system, leaving the manufacturer and your insurance no choice but to fully compensate you based on your warranty and plan. Thus, regular heating system tune ups not only help keep you safe and extend the life of your system, but could even save you thousands of dollars if your heating system ever does encounter a serious problem.
While the techniques required for tune ups vary based on different furnace manufacturers, here are some of the services that most manufacturers typically recommend be performed annually by a qualified contractor like those at Boston Unique Indoor Comfort:
- Checking the filters, and in fact it is recommended to check the filters even more frequently than just during the annual inspection.
- Checking the vent system for any potential blockage or leakage, including the outside termination and the internal connections in the furnace.
- Performing flue gas analysis to make sure the combustion gases match the unit specifications and there are no dangerous levels of gases like carbon monoxide being released.
- Checking the blower access door to ensure there is a tight seal, again to make sure no potentially toxic gases could escape the system.
- Checking the air intakes for any signs of blockage.
- Inspecting the heat exchanger for signs of extreme wear like rust and corrosion.
- Testing the burners for proper ignition, burner flame, and flame sense.
- Checking the drainage system for blockage and/or leakage, including internal hoses.
- Cleaning the condensate drain and trap and replacing the water if necessary.
- Inspecting the blower wheel for any accumulated debris and cleaning if necessary, which requires complete removal of the blower wheel.
- Conducting electrical tests on the blower motor and comparing with the manufacturer specifications.
- Checking the wiring for corrosion and damage, and replacing if necessary.
Notice that the services we perform are geared not only towards extending the life of your heating system, but also ensuring there is zero risk of any toxic gases like carbon monoxide leaking into your air supply. Don’t ever get caught off-guard by any issues with your heating system – potential problems could affect not just your wallet, but your health and safety as well. Avoid emergency rates and be proactive in maintenance of your heating system by scheduling a tuneup with Boston Unique Indoor Comfort today at (781) 933-7878. For a limited time only, if you call for service prior to 3/15/2016, we will offer a full service tuneup for just $99, 40% off our standard price of $168.